xense-devel

Re: [Xense-devel] vtpm_managerd problem

To: Burak OÐUZ <burakoguzs@xxxxxxxxx>, Stefan Berger <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xense-devel] vtpm_managerd problem
From: Burak OÐUZ <burakoguzs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:25:26 -0800 (PST)
Cc: xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xense-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 08:25:23 -0800
Sender: xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  > Hi,
>
>  >
>
>  > I am a newbie in tpm virtualization on Xen. I have a working IFX
>
>  > Tpm. I have a few questions about the usage of the vtpm_managerd and
>
>  > vtpm usage :
>
>  >
>
>  > 1 - vtpm_managerd gives that error
>

>  > dungeon trousers-CVS # vtpm_managerd
>
>  > INFO[VTPM]: Starting VTPM.
>
>  > INFO[TCS]: Constructing new TCS:
>
>  > ERROR[TXDATA]: TPM open failedERROR in VTPM_Init_Manager at
>
>  > vtpm_manager.c:205 code: TPM_IOERROR.
>
>  > ERROR[VTPM]: Closing vtpmd due to error during startup.
>

> Did you compile the TPM backend driver? If you compile it as a
> module do 'modprobe tpmbk' before you start the vtpm_managerd. Also
> you have to have the driver for your hardware TPM in the kernel
> before you start it. Both /dev/vtpm and /dev/tpm0 have to be there
>

>             ------ > How can I get the tpm backend driver? Should I
> re-compile the dom0 kernel?

In your current kernel configuration file (i.e., linux-2.6.16.33-xen/.config) you should set

CONFIG_XEN_TPMDEV_BACKEND=m

and then recompile using 'make install' for example in xen-unstable.hg. Afterwards a 'modprobe tpmbk' should work.

   Stefan

----------> I have compiled the xen kernel again and made 'modprobe tpmbk' but in the vtpm_managerd it gives the same error again.

dungeon linux-2.6.16.29-xen # vtpm_managerd
INFO[VTPM]: Starting VTPM.
INFO[TCS]: Constructing new TCS:
ERROR[TXDATA]: TPM open failedERROR in VTPM_Init_Manager at vtpm_manager.c:205 code: TPM_IOERROR.
ERROR[VTPM]: Closing vtpmd due to error during startup

But when I shutdown the trousers, the behaviour of the vtpm_managerd changes:

dungeon burak # vtpm_managerd
INFO[VTPM]: Starting VTPM.
INFO[TCS]: Constructing new TCS:
INFO[TCS]: Calling TCS_OpenContext:
INFO[VTSP]: OIAP.
ERROR[VTPM]: Failed to load service data with error = TPM_IOERROR
INFO[VTPM]: Failed to read manager file. Assuming first time initialization
INFO[VTSP]: Reading Public EK.
ERROR[TCS]: TCSP_ReadPubek Failed with return code TPM_DISABLED_CMD
ERROR in VTSP_ReadPubek at vtsp.c:264 code: TPM_DISABLED_CMD.
INFO[VTPM]: Failed to readEK meaning TPM has an owner. Creating Keys off exg SRK.
INFO[VTSP]: OSAP.
INFO[VTSP]: Creating new key of type 20.
INFO[VTSP]: Creating Binding Key...
ERROR[TCS]: TCSP_CreateWrapKey Failed with return code TPM_AUTHFAIL
ERROR in VTSP_CreateWrapKey at vtsp.c:557 code: TPM_AUTHFAIL.
ERROR in VTPM_Create_Manager at vtpm_manager.c:134 code: TPM_AUTHFAIL.

I have checked that after modprobing the tpmbk there created vtpm device.

dungeon linux-2.6.16.29-xen # ll /dev/vtpm
crw-rw---- 1 root root 10, 225 Ara  5 17:57 /dev/vtpm

Also it does not modprobe the tpm_xenu

dungeon burak # modprobe tpm_xenu
FATAL: Error inserting tpm_xenu (/lib/modules/2.6.16.29-xen/kernel/drivers/char/tpm/tpm_xenu.ko): Operation not permitted

What will be the problem?

Thanks again

Best Regards..

--burak