xense-devel

Re: [Xense-devel] vtpm_managerd problem

To: Stefan Berger <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xense-devel] vtpm_managerd problem
From: Burak OÐUZ <burakoguzs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 06:58:41 -0800 (PST)
Cc: xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xense-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 06:58:35 -0800
Sender: xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 > Hi,

 > I am a newbie in tpm virtualization on Xen. I have a working IFX

 > Tpm. I have a few questions about the usage of the vtpm_managerd and

 > vtpm usage :

 > 1 - vtpm_managerd gives that error

 > dungeon trousers-CVS # vtpm_managerd

 > INFO[VTPM]: Starting VTPM.

 > INFO[TCS]: Constructing new TCS:

 > ERROR[TXDATA]: TPM open failedERROR in VTPM_Init_Manager at

 > vtpm_manager.c:205 code: TPM_IOERROR.

 > ERROR[VTPM]: Closing vtpmd due to error during startup.

Did you compile the TPM backend driver? If you compile it as a module do
'modprobe tpmbk' before you start the vtpm_managerd. Also you have to have the
driver for your hardware TPM in the kernel before you start it. Both /dev/vtpm
and /dev/tpm0 have to be there

            ------ > How can I get the tpm backend driver? Should I re-compile
the dom0 kernel?

 > 2 - How can I activate vtpm on domUs? After modprobing the tpm_xenu

 > I start trousers on a domU, it gives such an error :

Once you modprobed tpm_xenu, is /dev/tpm0 available?

Did you start you user domain with a running vtpm_managerd and the 'vtpm = ...'
line in the vm config file?

    ---------> When I modprobe the tpm_xenu, it creates a tpm0 device. But till
now I could not start the vtpm_managerd and therefore this may be deceptive.

Thanks Stefan...

--- Burak