Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] New to Xen
From: Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:46:57 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 02:48:45 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Am Freitag, 11. November 2011, 10:42:00 schrieb J. Roeleveld:
> I got Xen 3.x running using the gentoo-guide, but hit a few issues when
> trying to get 4.x running inside a Virtualbox VM. (Don't have a spare
> machine to test with on bare-metal)
ok,
i never tested to run a xen Dom0 within VirtualBox but i've heard from others
that they did not got running Xen Dom0 runing as a VirtualBox VM in the past
because VirtualBox lacked some system featues required by Xen (in the past?).
Not shure how far VirtualBox is there today.

But if it helps you -> it is usually not a great deal to install / run a
xenified kernel with xen in parallel to a usual kernel (with Linux 3.x even a
second kernel should not be required anymore as long as your kernel has the
Xen stuff / PVOPs compiled in) i.e. on a Gentoo sys. With just a own boot
entry in your grub config you can select between your "normal" sys and Xen
Dom0 to boot. I did that i.e. on my Notebook as some hardware (i.e. graphics)
drivers had problems compiled with a xenified in the past...

good luck.
cheers,

Niels.

--