Re: [Xen-users] [XCP] Error creating snapshots with lvm2 updated

To: Sergey Melnik <admin.sa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] [XCP] Error creating snapshots with lvm2 updated
From: Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 21:34:10 +0100
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:35:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 09/28/2011 03:19 PM, Sergey Melnik wrote:
Hello everyone.

I've ran over a problem creating snapshots on my XCP 1.0 host.
While enabling PCI-Path-trough I've updated the whole system and lvm2
got updated to 2.02.84(2)-RHEL5, while other hosts have
2.02.56(1)-RHEL5.
Now I get error "failed (3): /usr/sbin/lvcreate: unrecognized option
`--inactive'" while creating a snapshot.

I understand, that it is somehow connected to using wrong version, yet
I want to ask what is the best way to solve it?
Should I rollback to XCP 1.0 or upgrade to XCP 1.1? Or just installing
lvm2 from another XCP host is fine?

XCP uses a heavily modified version of lvm, which actually extends the lvm commands with extra command line options. So when you updated your dom0, you blew away XCP's lvm with RHEL's lvm, which is completely incompatible.

To fix this, you could start by trying to roll back lvm to the version that came with XCP. Depending on what else got update, this might not work. You could always reinstall XCP with the recover option, but then you'd loose whatever work you did in upgrading your dom0s.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Mike