[Xen-users] Re: High Number of VMs

To: xen-users list <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: High Number of VMs
From: Ciro Iriarte <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 15:11:58 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 12:12:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2011/9/9 Ciro Iriarte <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi, I'm curious about how you guys deal with big virtualization
> installations. To this date we only dealt with a small number of VM's
> (~10)on not too big hardware (2xquad xeons+16GB ram). As I'm the
> "storage guy" I find it quite convenient to present to the dom0s one
> LUN per VM that makes live migration possible but without the cluster
> file system or cLVM complexity. The thing is that Linux has a 255 SCSI
> device limit apparently (255/2= ~128 with multipath) and that won't
> scale in big installations (300 VMs for example).
>
> Any experiences on this scale?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Ciro Iriarte
> http://cyruspy.wordpress.com
> --

Also, what about backups?. Currently I do dd images of the OS LUNs and
regular backups of data (with backup application agent on domUs), that
won't scale well. The VMWare admin around here always brags about the
backup API VMWare has, how far are we from something like that?...

Regards,

--
Ciro Iriarte
http://cyruspy.wordpress.com