[Xen-users] Re: Xen-users Digest, Vol 77, Issue 15

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Xen-users Digest, Vol 77, Issue 15
From: Oliver Wilcock <oliver@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 19:51:51 -0400
Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 16:53:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have used LVM inside a guest VM.

I don't understand your description though.
In particular I don't know what the following means: "Populated Xen guest image with DomO image." You copied the bits from one LV to the new LV?

If you are trying to avoid installing the guest OS by copying the bits, or the file system from your Dom0, then you are going to need to explain to it were to find root.

If the LV that you created for your guest is /dev/Box1/root then the guest will need to use this name.

i.e. /dev/Box1/root

You will need to pass the entire disk into the guest.  Perhaps:

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sdb,xvda,w' ]

To override the fstab and initrd expectations of the name of the root file system you can set the kernel parameter in your guest VM configuration. Perhaps:
root=/dev/Box1/root

Oh, and if the guest is managing the volume group then the Dom0 can't. So before you mount the physical disk in the DomU you need to deactivate it in Dom0.

vgchange -a n /dev/Box1

If I've misunderstood and you are trying to create a nested LVM configuration I think you are going to run into trouble having two volume groups with the same name.

> volume.
   You copied the bits from the