Re: [Xen-users] grub commands problem with Ubuntu 10.04

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:34 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>It's a somewhat advanced setup, while you don't have
>> enough experience/knowledge to troubleshoot ntfs-loop-xen combination.
>

>> Here's a basic question. Where is your /boot directory located?
>> If it's on your ntfs partition,
> Yes in C drive
>
> C:\ubuntu\install\boot

Do you have ntfs.mod there?
Do you have multiboot.mod there?

If you have ntfs but not multiboot, then it should be a simple matter
of copying multiboot.mod (from your /boot/grub inside the loopback, or
from /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/multiboot.mod). If you don't even have
ntfs.mod there, then back to square one, ask wubi maintainers.

>>does it have /boot/grub? Does it have
>> /boot/grub/multiboot.mod?
> No that folder is completely blank there is not a single file in it.

... but you have /boot/xen.gz? Strange setup :P

>> Don't use Wubi.
> Not possible for me :(
>> Don't boot from a loopback in ntfs. It's a somewhat
>> advanced setup, while you don't have enough experience/knowledge to
>> troubleshoot ntfs-loop-xen combination. Stick with normal installation
>
> Even I want to but that is not possible I myself do not have a VT
> machine asked one friend to give me his laptop and he has Windows 7 on
> one single partition which is coming these days pre installed on
> Laptops and he does not want to partition the drive and install/format
> etc.

The key word there being "does not want".
Resizing partition is easy and non destructive (you can use gparted
from sysrescuecd or any other tools that support shrinking
partitions).

If you "do not want" to do the suggestions, then many people on this
list will not want to help you. It's as simple as that.

>> methods, using partitions. Or use virtualbox if you just want to do
>> some tests. Normal installation will work.
> You mean to say I install Xen in a Linux distribution in Virtual box
> and then create Guest OS inside that there I can play with Xen.
> If that is possible that is a good suggestion.Let me know if I
> understood you correctly.

It should work. You can only create PV domUs, but it should be enough
to do some tests.

--
Fajar