Re: [Xen-users] virt-manager 0.8.2 local ISO and PXE boot install option

To: Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] virt-manager 0.8.2 local ISO and PXE boot install option greyed out on 2.6.32.27 pv-ops Dom0 kernel
From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 14:48:16 -0800
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 14:49:30 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=BOaAA9eZUfwBZX47Et1Zj0EGDuKkBVJT/M6cpWHk6Yk=; b=PgX6jqYSYdzdo0tm3RyIccGYfcgxfS66M1LI5J3V/e1qX7sBFcLREyD0s0i7Zj9XFU iSRcmioNL+zpIFUGiQum+tIlPoM9/mw7ZtM7B6FMTD0L4ISwyUJ+XHNvDMQaY+1HV2Ir RAN4ct969GXzxMcthQmTRk1g6vGSueruY0FB0=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Freddie Cash <fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I do not agree with you here.I have used KVM and virt-manager also and
>>> virt-manager  gives an option to
>>> install a PV guest or HVM guest and they use the same ISO which one
>>> downloads from the vendors site.
>>
>> Technically, there's no such thing as a PV guest in KVM.  Every guest is an
>> HVM guest.  But you can install paravirt drivers for network and storage
>> I/O.  There's no difference between a normal OS kernel and a KVM guest OS
>> kernel.  It's very different setup from Xen.
>>
>> Thus, every install into a KVM guest is a normal OS install.
>>

> I gave the wrong example my mistake.What I wanted to convey was a PV
> guest option on Xen and HVM guest option
> in virt-manager.So creating a PV guest on Xen using virt-manager
> should not be a difficult thing but it does not work.
> I would like to know if there is some way this problem can be debugged
> since virt-install has also failed.

The way we've been working around this "issue" is to manually create
the guest install using xen-tools.  Once it's bootstrapped and
what-not, the we create the VM manually in virt-manger, and tell it to
import the existing install.

Alternatively, if you have access to a network installer and a local
repo mirror, virt-manager supports that.  Gives you a similar result
to using xen-tools, but with an "installer" process similar to an ISO
install.  We've moved to this setup for our Debian VMs.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx