Re: [Xen-users] virt-manager 0.8.2 local ISO and PXE boot install option

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] virt-manager 0.8.2 local ISO and PXE boot install option greyed out on 2.6.32.27 pv-ops Dom0 kernel
From: Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 23:32:32 +0530
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:04:22 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=4qImKj7CVo+kSe2qTFGyBYQuxJiZH8YcvLFuyI5cgns=; b=Ui6y71CmilnqmrLT9OnVVvMEGc43wMkNGBlRMIzXUD5UhJK+c1jQsJyGt+33lVbKw6 qHCEWE41w69QdM8+LVnfU76LnUfNeteLpraMskoCc0E/CLM3y4k20yiterKE7bP63FoQ UQUMwnKbPDAIeF4ZP74d/2XIFh21tPctSF0tQ=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Freddie Cash <fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Most (or perhaps all?) Linux distro can't be installed in
>> > paravirtualized (PV) mode using local ISO/CDROM, so virt-manager does
>> > not allow that option (for simplicity, maybe).
>> I do not agree with you here.I have used KVM and virt-manager also and
>> virt-manager  gives an option to
>> install a PV guest or HVM guest and they use the same ISO which one
>> downloads from the vendors site.
>
> Technically, there's no such thing as a PV guest in KVM.  Every guest is an
> HVM guest.  But you can install paravirt drivers for network and storage
> I/O.  There's no difference between a normal OS kernel and a KVM guest OS
> kernel.  It's very different setup from Xen.
>
> Thus, every install into a KVM guest is a normal OS install.

I gave the wrong example my mistake.What I wanted to convey was a PV
guest option on Xen and HVM guest option
in virt-manager.So creating a PV guest on Xen using virt-manager
should not be a difficult thing but it does not work.
I would like to know if there is some way this problem can be debugged
since virt-install has also failed.