Re: [Xen-users] Which version for hosting?

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Which version for hosting?
From: Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:23:36 +0000
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 10:25:23 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 15/01/11 12:44, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 09:45:13PM +0000, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Is the 4.x branch suitable yet for serious production hosting services?
We currently run the latest 3.x version with a CentOS Dom0 which has
been rock solid for us, but wondering if we would gain any advantages by
upgrading to 4.x? Are there any security issues fixed in 4.x that are
present in 3.x?

When we were deploying some server last summer, we tested 4.0, but found
it to be a bit buggy (random lock-ups occurring)

I'm just trying to get an idea of which version is used out there

Xen 4.0.2-rc1 was just released a couple of days ago.

I'd recommend you to try it, and run some proper tests
with your workloads and see how it goes.

If you have any issues, or find some bugs, let us know.

Note that some people have had random lockups due to ACPI C-states
being enabled in the BIOS. That option is known to cause a lot of
problems and crashes on multiple platforms, not only in Xen.

Also dom0 kernel version will heavily affect the stability
of the whole system. You basicly have two choises there.
1) pvops xen/stable-2.6.32.x branch, and SLES11 SP1 Xenlinux 2.6.32 kernel.

-- Pasi

I'm guessing if I went with the 4.x branch, is using the CentOS provided kernel out of the question? At the minute, we use the latest 3.x branch (3.4.3) due to extra features, but we use the kernel from CentOS (Red Hat) due to it stability and patch management (yum). 3.4.3 and CentOS provided kernel works really really well.

Thanks