Re: [Xen-users] Can't get Dom0 PV_OPS working properly

To: Ian Murray <murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Can't get Dom0 PV_OPS working properly
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:52:16 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 07:53:38 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from :date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=LIcdMXkzlndbOGwFxr/WG16GcS7U0dSxrW01sEeASzk=; b=yFlAIHaS5qSnXUja9IDrBGMDyHrS06+TtBOFReUyeF98AdYGEfa2sNRigGdjDVP8pJ b+0ZRwmHSTt1cbPfCngsIHVtn9uVp9wQMmTXCyaspA6yjf4OhYrBSfQukOJ/VVwjHaJ8 EzOABa89fdqgTOptIiDSP2NXHyUVwgn3IE9FU=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Ian Murray <murrayie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a reliable system running Xen 3.4.3 (GitCo)  using the CentOS Xen kernel
> (5.5). I wanted to do some PCI passthrough but I got an issue with MMIO (or
> similar). Google told me that that I had to use the Xen 2.6.18 or PV_Ops
> kernel.
>
> I downloaded the "Jeremy" PV_OPS kernel and compiled it okay, having followed
> the Wiki entry instructions (I think!). I read somewhere that I
>
> should go to 4.0.1 Xen, which I did. The kernel runs fine as a standalone
> kernel
>
> and boots under Xen.
>
> I am having the the following issues:-
>
> * I can't get any screen console output (despite console=hvc0 at the dom0
> kernel
>
> line)
>
> * PV VM's fail to start properly. As soon as they start, they sit at 100% CPU
> according to xm top and don't progress. A Windows HVM guest appears to start
> okay. I haven't tried any other HVM. I have tried PV guests based on CentOS
> kernel and Ubuntu 10.10 PV_OPS, which do the same.
>
> I tried to look at the various logs but I don't see anything that gives me a
> clue, but I am not Xen expert to know what I am looking for.
>
> When I revert back to 4.0.1 + CentOS's Xen kernel as Dom0, all VM's start and
> operate properly.

You should post the specific version of the pv_ops kernel that you are
trying and also the complete log of the guest boot process.

It is unclear if you are also having dom0 problems. To get more output
on Dom0 (if needed) you can use
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenSerialConsole

Hope that helps.

Thanks,