Re: [Xen-users] Which distro to use for Dom0

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Which distro to use for Dom0
From: Christian Zoffoli <czoffoli@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:00:59 +0100
Cc: Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:03:26 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
debian and xen are actually in different planets ...live migration is a
pain and there are many problems in general.

If you whant something stable, updated and so on, suse sles 11 sp1 is
the way.

Here are the main reasons:
- it's based on xen 4.0 + many interesting additions (for example
virtual machines snapshots --> **not only disk snapshots**)
- it's integrated with the new cluster stack (pacemaker and friends)
- it's integrated with OCFS2 (with many interesting patches in the tree)
- it's integrated with CLVM (on pacemaker & friends)
- it has pv over hvm drivers for linux and windows (in linux pv over hvm
for 64bit VMs is better performing)
- it has a fully working and certified infiniband stack
- it's more lightweight than redhat (it's possible to make very light
installations comparable in size/occupied resources to debian)
- suse xen kernel is also the starting point of the citrix xenserver
...so it's not something different  / unmaintained etc

>From a performance perspective I suggest you to directly use CLVM for VM
images storage because I've seen poor performances in QCOW2 over OCFS2
setups.

The only big problem I can see in the future of suse is the acquisition
by a microsoft controlled company of novell ...by the way also citrix is
very microsoft dependant ...so the soup is almost the same.

Best regards,
Christian