[Xen-users] RAID10 Array

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] RAID10 Array
From: Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 23:54:12 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:56:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Everyone,

I have 3 RAID ideas, and I'd appreciate some advice on which would be better for lots of VMs for customers.

My storage server will be able to hold 16 disks. I am going to export 1 iSCSI LUN to each xen node. 6 nodes will connect to one storage server, so that's 6 LUNs per server of equal size. The server will connect to a switch using quad port bonded NICs (802.3ad), and each Xen node will connect to the switch using Dual port bonded NICs.

Idea 1:
3 X RAID10 Arrays (4 disks per array)
4 Hot Spares
2 LUNs per array

Idea 2:
1 X RAID10 Array (12 disks per array)
4 Hot Spares
6 LUNs per array

Idea 3:
1 X RAID 10 Array (14 disks per array)
2 Hot Spares
6 LUNs per array

I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas on which would be best for throughput/IPOS

Thanks