RE: RE: [Xen-users] Serial console - Xen 4.0 - debugging pv_ops 2.6.31do

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: RE: [Xen-users] Serial console - Xen 4.0 - debugging pv_ops 2.6.31dom0 kernel
From: Matej Zary <zary@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 21:31:53 +0200
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 12:33:13 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 2010-04-24 at 23:49 -0400, Mike Viau wrote:

> > Marej,
> > I am facing same problem as you. Cannot get pv_ops dom0 kernel to
> > boot on my hardware (AMD) and trying to get console output from MB
> w/o
> > serial port. I thought in 2.6.31 kernels there was support for USB
> > console? I had seen this somewhere but cannot find it now. Not sure
> > how USB console would be configured to other machine. The only way
> > can think to do this is with a USB-RS232 dongle.
> >

> I hate to be the be the one to give you the bad news but a USB dongle
> does not load up in the kernel early enough to capture the Xen
> hypervisor boot messages. As far as my understanding goes a USB serial
> dongle can not even be used to log the dom0 kernel messages as the usb
> drivers need to be loaded in memory before the serial port can be made
> and this is much latter in the kernel's boot-up.
>

> -M

As far as I know, the USB-RS232 can be used only on the "other" side
(like in my case, i put the USB-RS232 dongle into my laptop - this was
the "monitoring" machine). If you don't have any onboard serial port on
the Xen machine (true com port, or the server variatons which can be
accessed via ethernet etc. -
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenSerialConsole ) I'm afraid, you
have to acquire some pci card with Com ports (they are quite cheap new
and can be sometimes found on computer "junkyards" and bazaars for free
or for few cents more than free :) ).

Btw. can you spot some of the text messagess on the screen during the
boot? And you might try the advice, which solved my case - turning on
the ACPI HPET Table in the BIOS settings.

Good luck. :)

Matej