Re: [Xen-users] Xen and MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 (current)

To: Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen and MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 (current)
From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:04:58 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 07:10:01 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:received:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=sKuHQc0S25NCHEm0NQ4DqgOuc38W6kN6OAvr0rYldNw=; b=my90SVwkorsQ8P3mohONvolo0zMWBOrPYgS+TFB39eiLp1cGjd1MtwOAsNhAdHeyfL 4s+KFSiPL9Tcid9LhqB7S/eZAvhYnfzjoDYoccpDiqVlEfhRITpK1jGfozLoBj2EXdIb FzToctA0Yehsy6JVQLIqa1kNymuDlOQz7l77Y=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Xenianers,
>
> this thread seems not new but things are changed over a while.
>
> I'm plan to use a current (x86) Mac Book 17" 2.8 GHz mainly with Linux
> (mainly Gentoo) and to run other VMs for developement (mainly Linux, *BSD)
> under Xen if possible as i'm very happy with Xen on our servers and even some
> desks.

I maintain some ebuilds and patches for Gentoo xen kernels, .31 and
.32 are in portage now, you just need to unmask them, newer versions I
upload to http://code.google.com/p/gentoo-xen-kernel/downloads/list
for testing before they hit portage.

> 1.)
> What about nvidia drivers in the current (with xen linux or xen netbsd)? Is
> it possible to run dom0 or domU with the accelerated linux drivers? Is there
> any difference between xen (classic) and xen pv be aware?

It is possible to run nvidia binary drivers if you use a classic Xen
kernel but they do not currently work with pv_ops kernel when Xen is
enabled, I use 195.36.15 with .31 and .32 and it is perfectly stable.

The easy way to install the drivers is to set your /usr/src/linux
symlink to point at a normal non-xen kernel, install the drivers
through portage, then compile the kernel module for the xen kernel and
install it manually.

> 2.)
> Is it technically possible to run a current Mac OS X under Xen? I assume not
> for now but i've heard somewhere that there are users which sucessfully run
> Mac OS X under a Xen HV - but that requires "modifications" which are not
> "legally" (i.e. a "cracked" OS X or "modified" kernel [darwin?]). Im really
> confused here...

It is possible, but it does require modifications to the install dvd,
whether it is legal or not if you run it on apple hardware I have no
idea, graphics performance would be a problem unless you can passthru
the vga adapter to osx.