[Xen-users] Xen and MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 (current)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen and MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 (current)
From: "Niels Dettenbach" <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 14:53:03 +0200
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 05:55:53 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Xenianers,

this thread seems not new but things are changed over a while.

I'm plan to use a current (x86) Mac Book 17" 2.8 GHz mainly with Linux (mainly
Gentoo) and to run other VMs for developement (mainly Linux, *BSD) under Xen if
possible as i'm very happy with Xen on our servers and even some desks.

1.)
What about nvidia drivers in the current (with xen linux or xen netbsd)? Is it
possible to run dom0 or domU with the accelerated linux drivers? Is there any
difference between xen (classic) and xen pv be aware?

2.)
Is it technically possible to run a current Mac OS X under Xen? I assume not
for now but i've heard somewhere that there are users which sucessfully run Mac
OS X under a Xen HV - but that requires "modifications" which are not "legally"
(i.e. a "cracked" OS X or "modified" kernel [darwin?]). Im really confused
here...

Is here anyone who can clearify this a little to us or has experiences with
this?

Afair it seems possible to run a (patched and unpatched) MAC OSX on (a
patched?) VirtualBox (even without real MAC hardware, but that's not my
idea...), but (however) i prefer xen where possible and afaik virtualbox is not
(at least not fully because of VT etc.) running under a xen hv which i prefer
to use for other things to do.

Paravirtualizing MAC OSX seems' not a (current) question worth...

Will try this as soon as i have the hardware here.

Many thanks for your time,
best regards and a nice weekend to you all,

Niels.
---
Niels Dettenbach
http://www.syndicat.com