[Xen-users] Linux hangs during reboot on Jeremy's git kernel

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Linux hangs during reboot on Jeremy's git kernel
From: Mike Viau <viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:43:18 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 18:44:10 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was unable to find issues in the mailing list archive pertaining to Linux hanging during the reboot of the dom0 on Jeremy's PV git kernel.

I setup a fresh x86_64 Debian Lenny system using the 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel which can reboot my system by ctrl+alt+del or by simply using the reboot command.

Then I lost the ability to reboot after using my compiled PVOPS kernel.

STEPS TAKEN TO BUILD PV DOM0:

sudo apt-get install git-core kernel-package fakeroot build-essential ncurses-dev

Then I checked out linux-2.6-xen to my source/building directory with:
1) git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git linux-2.6-xen

2) and then used the .config (renamed accordingly)
@ http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/config-2.6.31.4-pvops_dom0-x86_64

3) in the kernel source directory

make-kpkg clean

4) CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=`grep -c '^processor' /proc/cpuinfo` fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-xen kernel_image kernel_headers

5) everything compiled fine so I installed the outputted debs (dpkg -i *.deb) successfully

6) updated my grub configuration (menu.lst)

The system boots fine, but then I just cannot restart the dom0. I tried the suggestions at: http://blogs.koolwal.net/2009/08/04/howto-fix-linux-hangfreeze-during-reboots-and-restarts/

Using the reboot= kernel options did not fix the rebooting issue.

QUESTIONS:

Firstly does anyone have a fix or patch for an issue like this?

Secondly is there a more suitable or updated .config to use rather than the one I used for step #2

Thirdly I am using make-kpkg because I believe it to be the correct debian way. I looked for a way to build both a linux-image and linux-headers deb package for installation. I am aware that the linux-2.6-xen Makefile offers a "make deb-pkg" phony, but this only builds the linux-image part into a deb. How might one use the Makefile options to include headers in the appropriate kernel and appropriate file system location?

Thanks for looking :)

-M