Re: [Xen-users] GPLPV or other drivers for win2k8r2?

To: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] GPLPV or other drivers for win2k8r2?
From: Matthias Reif <mattreif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 12:08:03 +1100
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:08:54 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 05/02/2010 09:15:58 AM:

> Hi. I have some new 64bit Windows 2008 R2 domU's running on
> SLES11/xen_3.4.2. What is everyone using to get 1gb network performance
> on win2k8? I've used GPLPV on win2k3, but I see you have to sign the
> drivers yourself for 64bit. Maybe that process isn't difficult, I only
> glance at the link from gplpv's page.
>
> What is everyone using? GPLPV is about the only thing I know of for
> fully virtualized windows guests.
>
> Thanks,
> James

Hi James,

I actually never got the GPLPV drivers to work satisfactorily on our Win 2008 R2 server, but maybe others have had better success. The network performance of GPLPV was worse than IOEMU regardless of numerous different adapter settings that I tried.

I reverted back to using IOEMU and found satisfactory performance using the e1000 model driver instead of the default Realtek,

ie.

vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:xx:xx:xx, bridge=xenbr0, model=e1000' ]

With the above I achieve a throughput of approx 30 MBytes per second, which is much less than what some people on this list reported using GPLPV, but still Gigabit speed and more than enough for our application.

I also don't have to worry about test signing and/or disabling driver signature enforcement at every reboot. So far the server has been a rock solid performer.

Matthias

SOUTH PACIFIC SEEDS
PO Box 934, GRIFFITH N.S.W. 2680. AUSTRALIA
Phone:
02 6962 7333      Fax: 02 6964 1311

CAUTION: The information contained in this e-mail is privileged and confidential. If you are reading this message and you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of all or part of the contents is prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately. Any opinions or views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not represent those of their employer.