Re: [Xen-users] BUG: soft lockup

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Dana Rawding <dana@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been experiencing a rash of CPU lockups on a number of domU's recently.
>  It's been happening on two different servers.  About a year ago I had this
> problem every once in a while but it was not frequent.  I was running Ubuntu
> with Xen 3.1 and 2.6.24-18 back then.  I'm now running Xen 3.3 and 2.6.24-26.

Since you're using Ubuntu's kernel, the Ubuntu-way would be to report
this bug on bugs.ubuntu.com, and wait until they come up with a fix :P

> What I have noticed is that just prior to the lockups the domU's had high cpu
> loads.  The domU that I have the most problems with is a Zimbra server.  My
> guess is that a rash of spam comes through and cpu loads get high, then the
> cpu's lock up.  Originally I had it running with 1 cpu but have since upped
> it 2 then 3 cpu's.
>
> I have been collecting the lockup messages and have posed a few below.  Any
> ideas?  Recommendations?

You might want to try using newer kernel. Both vanilla kernel and
Suse's Xen kernel should work for domU. See
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels. T

--
Fajar