Re: [Xen-users] [XCP] questions

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 03:23:42PM -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> > Hmm.. nothing in the logs? Do you have serial consoles set up so you can
> > log the errors/crashes?
>
> No, I've never found anything in the logs. How would I setup serial
> consoles to do this?

In the usual way.. I guess you're not familiar with serial consoles?

The "oldskool" way is to use serial cables ("null-modem cables") and
connect the serial ports of the servers to other computers or
terminal servers. Then configure the Xen-hosts to use the serial port
as a console logging/printing everything there, and the other computers
or terminal servers to log everything from the serial ports and write to disk.

If you're using a laptop to log, you can get an USB serial adapter
for the laptop for logging.

USB serial adapter cannot be used on the Xen hosts, since the serial port
needs to be accessible before USB drivers are loaded in the dom0 kernel.

This allows you to capture and store everything that happens (=is printed on
the console)
on the Xen-hosts.

The 'newskool' way is to use serial console over SOL (Serial Over Lan). SOL
devices
can be found from most new servers nowadays, usually from the management
processor
(for example HP iLO or IPMI).

Basicly SOL presents a (PCI) serial port to the OS, but the management
processor
makes it possible to use/attach to that serial port over the network over an IP
connection.

Some desktop computers also have Intel AMT/vPro (Active Management Technology),
which also has virtual serial port over the network implemented.

> > XCP is pretty much like XenServer, so similar V2V process is needed for
> > both..
> > you could use some of the products made for that purpose, or create a
> > custom
> > script that does it.. (especially if your' domUs are pretty similar).
>
> Is there a documented V2V process somewhere? My domU's are very similar.
> Most of my windows domU are created from a master "image" and
> modifications/customizations made after creation. Same with linux domU's
> which are all sles10 SP1 or SP2. Some 32bit some 64bit.

You might want to check XenConvert.

V2V can be also done manually, but it's a bit tricky with the drivers and
stuff..

-- Pasi