Re: [Xen-users] iSCSI Volumes and Xen

Joseph Coleman wrote:

I am moving away from NFS due to performance issues and going to iSCSI I have a 4 node environment that I am going to cluster. However, when I share out the iSCSI volume with all 4 servers and mount the volume as /var/vm on the servers they are unable to view the files or folders the other server creates. How can I get around this?

Step 1 to fixing this is to realise that iSCSI is **NOT** a shared file system - ie it will **NOT** replace NFS directly. Mounting a volume on more than one system at once without a cluster filesystem is absolutely guaranteed to destroy the filesystem as each system writes what **it** thinks is the correct data on the virtual disk.

So you have two choices - mount it on one system and share it (eg via NFS) to the others, or use a cluster filesystem on all the systems that use it.

What may also be a related issue you'd want to consider ...
I, amongst many, have found performance to be dire when mounting the iSCSI volume in a DomU - it seems the Dom0 networking just don't work well with it. I don't think I'm alone in having had to attach the iSCSI volume on Dom0 and share it to the DomU as a virtual block device.

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of support for years.