Re: [Xen-users] Re: Data Backup and Restore Scripts for your Xen Server

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Data Backup and Restore Scripts for your Xen Servers
From: "Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 00:25:12 +0800
Cc: space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:26:18 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=P0JuZlzXTLCbjRTKE88qz6B5VXeMjC7DFj4eb2SkXGg=; b=pwf0ZnYnlYpElUqgDQ1j3x7bW0Ix5uAJ7Kz59FHhEiuZ1Lf54uWqxs+O6d3IquDPuY jWUpHfxBkqTX28rdqGL1C7IfzXQHUmTHrXWHA4/3pmXTHD5Sqh9Q8cL7Zy7vQHnNSmte 6YWr4XkrMbdqETEHOr39qo//jfDGNEsY2lFkU=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 3:45 AM, Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) <space.time.universe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Steven Anderson wrote:
>> I was trying to understand why one wouldnt use LV snapshots
>
> because it gives you a backup of a 'dirty' filesystem.  that is, a snapshot when it's mounted, and without any guarantees about all processes having flushed important data to disk.
>
> recovering from such a backup is to the system just like recovering from a 'pull the plug' event.  In most cases an fsck is enough and the (little) lost data is within reason for a catastrophic failure.  In other cases (usually when a busy database is involved), it's just not OK,  you could recover data that is totally inconsistent, maybe needing a complex analysis to bring it back to a reasonable state.
>
> IOW, it's better to use a 'normal' backup system, and be sure to get cooperation from any DB system.
>
> --
> Javier

Hi All,

I have tested both the backup and restore scripts by doing an actual
backup and restore operation on my computer.

For your convenience, I have attached the final backup and restore
scripts in this email.

Hi All,

I have performed an extensive testing of the restore of the data backup image set using my backup and restore scripts.

Two virtual machines, namely, openSUSE 11.2 PV domU, and Slackware64 13.0 HVM domU, did not restore properly.

Please refer to my latest updated restore script for the fixes to these problems.

Attached latest updated restore script.

--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical Engineering)
Alma Maters: