Re: [Xen-users] Re: Data Backup and Restore Scripts for your Xen Servers

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Data Backup and Restore Scripts for your Xen Servers
From: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:04:28 -0500
Cc: Steven Anderson <hikenboot@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:05:13 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steven Anderson wrote:
> I was trying to understand why one wouldnt use LV snapshots

because it gives you a backup of a 'dirty' filesystem.  that is, a snapshot
when it's mounted, and without any guarantees about all processes having
flushed important data to disk.

recovering from such a backup is to the system just like recovering from a
'pull the plug' event.  In most cases an fsck is enough and the (little) lost
data is within reason for a catastrophic failure.  In other cases (usually when
a busy database is involved), it's just not OK,  you could recover data that is
totally inconsistent, maybe needing a complex analysis to bring it back to a
reasonable state.

IOW, it's better to use a 'normal' backup system, and be sure to get
cooperation from any DB system.

--
Javier