Re: [Xen-users] Why Xen will deprecated? Is it to old?

To: "Robbie A. Garrett" <RGarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Why Xen will deprecated? Is it to old?
From: "Olivier B." <xen.list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:02:59 +0200
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 05:03:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I think it's because the (huge) Xen dom0 patch is not really maintained for recent kernels. So it's a hard work to include it in a distribution.

But there is actually a big work to integrate this Xen dom0 patch in Linux vanilla, so Xen will not need this hard inclusion work. Squeeze seems to be the last time Debian use the old "2.6.18" patch, but in next Debian (in 2 years) Xen will probably be included in Linux upstream, no ?

Olivier

I'm a little lost as to why people will switch to KVM or that the some OS force one type of software out in favor of another. is it because Xen requires a specific kernel to run? Why so much 'hate' against Xen? Perhaps it's my old school thinking but Xen works.... rather well and almost right out of the box for 98% of us. If I have to buy commercial (as I have done for some needs) to keep Xen then I will. Until KVM becomes more of a standard (which if OS keep shoving KVM the way they are... it's going to happen) I will never switch.