Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.0 to 3.4 upgrade

To: Brian Krusic <brian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.0 to 3.4 upgrade
From: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:40:45 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 19:41:50 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :from:date:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=Qkg4syMaYF0kOxth/GIOo9jOE4TuzGq6mTEE/2pgRQ0=; b=XpikkKyclbFq8qWVKt2cLTQ6QqqgXVmyLLYXdhRBWb3FBN+9hLmJv6ZGXRsOMvPgPM +UURenp/RjZ+Ty8gKUIKWNeeLaYrHoX/hBACiZnQPEP5V5fAtoz8C79gO/UyCw0cTT13 mzCoEHweOHYEUck3PJyoZMB4XgDEzDGLNffTk=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I still use config files in /etc/xen on 3.4.1. You can too if you wish.

Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."
Now they have two problems.

Hi Grant,

How do you specify the use of /etc/xen config fils?

And whats more robust in terms of DR, BCP?

Having a config file simply alloewed me to copy it and the img file to a safe location.

How would having xend managing this allow me that same option?

You shouldn't have to specify anything. Use the xm command to create, shutdown etc.. It still respects the /etc/xen/ configs.
Not sure there's any difference in reliability either except that I've had better luck not using libvirtd which virsh uses. Some day
we'll all move over to libvirt (right kernel developers?) but for now I continue to manage my xen machines exactly the way I did
in the 3.0.4 days.

Also if you don't have anything in /etc/xen I'd double check your installation because I'm using the rpms from gitco and they have example xen configs in /etc/xen/.

Grant McWilliams