Re: [Xen-users] What are your bottomneck in using Xen solution?

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] What are your bottomneck in using Xen solution?
From: Michael David Crawford <mdc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:10:57 -0700
Delivery-date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:11:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
howard chen wrote:
What are the factors that prevent you from installing additional VM on
an existing server?

I have a single Core 2 Quad Xeon e5420, but my motherboard has a socket for a second Xeon which I'll be getting soon.

But so far all I've tried is running on DomU at a time. I have only been running HVM DomUs - WinXP SP3 and BeOS 5 Pro.

I had a problem with the GPLPV drivers on WinXP, but will be giving them another try soon.

BeOS 5 Pro is *absurdly* slow. This is very weird because on native hardware, it is a particularly fast and efficient operating system. But in a Xen DomU, it takes over twenty minutes to boot, and clicking a menu takes a couple minutes for the menu to appear.

I'd like to track down what the performance problems are, but I really don't know where to start.

My hope is to use Xen to run all the target operating systems for a cross-platform audio program I'm writing. I'd like to be able to run them all simultaneously sometimes, but I'm not having much luck so far.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdc@xxxxxxxxx

   prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

      Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen