RE: [Xen-users] Making system templates

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Making system templates
From: Nathan Eisenberg <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 19:55:19 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:56:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Certainly it's hard to claim that any one way is always 'best'.  Ultimately,
being closer to current is generally better than being further away from it -
not that this is exactly news to anyone.

My solution is very close to Thomas', except that I debootstrap from a local
mirror which is updated only after the upstream packages are tested against
common configurations.

That way, I can use debootstrap to get my definition of 'current-stable', while
simultaneously being reassured that the packages I am pulling down are of a
version I have tested and verified to work.  This is part of my upgrade cycle,
so if I add a tenth machine to a cluster using the debootstrap method, I am
pulling down the same version of packages as those already on the production
machines

Thank You,
Nathan Eisenberg
Sr. Systems Administrator
Atlas Networks, LLC
Atlas Networks is an Atlas Accelerator Company