RE: [Xen-users] Making system templates

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Making system templates
From: Tait Clarridge <Tait.Clarridge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 16:34:15 -0400
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 13:35:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For my templates here (Windows XP/2003 Server/Linux/Solaris etc.) I make a copy
of the disk image (not using LVMs so migration between servers is easier) once
I have it configured to a "base" setting and have them sitting on an NFS share.

I created a script to be run on the Xen host that will ask for the amount of
RAM/CPU, the name and which directory to copy it into. The script then copies
the disk files and base config file, edits the config file to include the path
to the disk file as well as how much RAM/CPUs the machine needs.

This makes for a 30 minute rollout for a new server from when I start the copy
to renaming and handing over to the end user who requires it. I realize this
doesn't help for you if you are using LVMS (which I think you are), but if you
can agree on a uniform size for all your VMs you could DD the LVM partition
into a file then DD it onto a new partition of the exact same size when you
want to provision a new VM.

For example, our Windows Server 2003 VMs are 20GB in size, Linux is 20GB, XP is
10GB...

Then if you want to have more disk space, carve out another LVM and attach it
to the domU in the config file. It tends to work really well here.

Tait