Re: [Xen-users] Difference performances between HVM and PV guest in har

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Difference performances between HVM and PV guest in hard disc reading
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:18:58 +0700
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 May 2009 19:19:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 1:50 AM, Heli <helicoterus-elih@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Where I can find this drivers for debian?
>  I would like to test a debian HVM virtual machine with these "magic"
> drivers.

I haven't find one that works. In the future virtio drivers might
work, but at this moment last time I check PV drivers for Linux HVM
guest only work on kernel 2.6.18.

If you want to use it for production purposes, its easy enough to
convert HVM guest to PV. Here's an example for Ubuntu and RHEL:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2009-05/msg00536.html

If you only want to do some testing, you should be able to import
RHEL/Centos 5.3's -xen kernel RPM to debian with alien. I tested this
some time ago. You need some modifications on
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules (does Debian use the same file?) to add
some modules to initrd. Another option is to use kernel from xen.org
(2.6.18.8) and compile the drivers yourself (the source is on xen
tarball)

--
Fajar