Re: [Xen-users] Bridges are not working

A Diumenge 24 Maig 2009, Fajar A. Nugraha va escriure:
> On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 2:15 AM, Leopold Palomo Avellaneda
>
> <leo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> - does eth1 (the bridge) work when you put ip address there
> >
> > well, in dom0 it works, with bridge and without bridge
>
> at least that worked. Now :
> - check iptables rules. Is it blocking packets?

I didn't modify any iptables. The server is under a firewall and there's no
blocking packets.

> - try putting IP address on dom0's eth1 (the bridge) and domUs eth0,
> see if you can ping dom0 from domU. While trying that, on another
> terminal do tcpdump on dom0 to snoop packets on the vif (vif6.0 on
> your example) and on eth1. This should determine whether the problem
> is on the bridge setup, NIC, or switch.

ok, I found some interested result.

I have configured eth1 in dom0. So, I have assigned an IP and I have ifup the
interface. I have configured the interface in domU. I have had some little
trouble because if I put the mac address the then I got a duplicate mac
address, so I solved it with just only:

vif = ['bridge=eth1']

Then I have rebooted domU and the network have been working. So, I have
stopped the domU and then I have de-configured eth1 (ifdown the interface )
and then the network have stopped.

So, I guest that the problem is that, there's have been some changes in xen
sources and I _must_ have the interface that acts as a bridge up, whenever
the IP uses, if not, the bridge doesn't work.

Could you confirm this?

> As a side note, you should be able to use your old, working dom0
> kernel (from Etch?) on newer Xen versions, so you might want to try
> that as well.

I would prefer that no. It's better, IMHO as debian user, to follow the kernel
versions of the stable series.

Regards,

Leo

PS OTOH, I think that some people (as me) are suffering crashes from xen [1] ,
but this is another history.