Re: [Xen-users] system reboots half way through virt-install

To: Kevin McKeon <kevin.w.mckeon@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] system reboots half way through virt-install
From: Jeff Lane <dreadpiratejeff@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 12:51:39 -0400
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 May 2009 09:52:20 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=2aoh607o8MLsBwNmhsVaO2RqIassLFxpiOzPqQd8YQU=; b=aJ6oxWjEKCLYZnSVX9AqAcVgRZcXH8IkjnayBHRZZyXxbVjR93fp+ZLu1ASkUea4YB 1jOYZFMWKCB5VL91AwPN1LItrc77y8TLZhl08QpdisopsQjHZAL9FVclKRk/fMWvibfV Mk1zuEAlN5IiU5oWNXUoli/bgVFHBfCUMT79A=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
First, what version of Xen and what host OS are you running?  That may
be important...

And not that this helps a lot, but I've always found that
instantaneous shutdowns like that tend to be either memory or a bad
processor...

There usually has to be something very very wrong with the OS to
actually force a full reboot, unless you have some sort of watchdog
looking for a weird error which forces a reboot... but again, most of
the ones I have seen like that would throw a weird NMI error and
reboot the machine, and usually it was something memory related...

BUT it could be something with the host OS or Xen or something xen is
doing with memory mapping, perhaps...

Just an idea, and I know it's probably not terribly useful, but I
couldnt really say for sure...

But check the Xen logs to see what's going on, and if you have
something like kdump on the system, configure and run that, and you'll
at least, hopefully, get a core dump from the kernel that could give
you an idea of what's going on...