Re: [Xen-users] Problem booting Xen DomU images under Ubuntu Jaunty (Dom

To: Nicholas W <4407@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problem booting Xen DomU images under Ubuntu Jaunty (Dom0 working nicely)
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 18:11:37 +0300
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 May 2009 08:12:21 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 03:36:40PM +0200, Nicholas W wrote:
> Dear All,
>  I now have my Dom0 working nicely running Ubuntu Jaunty. I am now
> trying to boot Images I had been using without problem under my
> previous Xen installation (Gentoo). For the Dom0 host kernel I am
> using the debian package
> linux-image-2.6.26-2-xen-686_2.6.26-15_i386.deb. The DomU kernel is
> one I compiled myself a while ago (sometime last year and has always
> worked on Gentoo and I think even Centos)
>

> Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with the DomU not
> recognizing the virtual disk image.
>
> /etc/xen/ubuntu looks like this:
>
> kernel = "/workarea/xen/kernels/vmlinuz"
> memory = 1024
> name = "ubuntu"
> vif = [ '' ]
> dhcp = "dhcp"
> disk = ['tap:aio:/workarea/xen/images/ubuntu.img,sda1,w',
>         'tap:aio:/workarea/xen/images/swapubuntu.img,sda2,w']
> root = "/dev/sda1 ro"

Btw you shouldn't be using sda and sdb, you should be using xvda and xvdb.
xvd = Xen Virtual Disk.

That sdX device naming thing is deprecated and should not be used anymore.

Also, why do you have the kernel in dom0? I find it a lot easier to have the
kernel in the domU filesystem (use the kernel-xen provided by the distro),
and use pygrub/pvgrub to load the kernel from the domU filesystem.

-- Pasi