Re: [Xen-users] Ubuntu 8.04 DomU crash

To: rcha108 rcha108 <rcha108@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Ubuntu 8.04 DomU crash
From: Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro <thiagocmartinsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 23:35:52 -0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 May 2009 19:36:42 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=+YOOy6cC+evon7MpHIgXWVRl02ZAUxj7AExRD/6eD5w=; b=ZFdcqatIdS8+GWmfqnbg9yPc1bt+Jmd0KLTgfas9xF9vrEq0XmbohCcQS4ijfKUANC RToaex7z+Lasvm3DKV/B5geXedquKmVSrcD7FgeAPepvUXZNNqTRL77Nol8rAUy7Cy6Z Js5UcR/1I0q4q7nEH69hEeUECj74aKlmC5nmM=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The easy/fast way that I know to stabilize Ubuntu under Xen is:

echo "deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian lenny main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
aptitude update
aptitude install linux-image-2.6.26-2-xen-686

 And configure the Debian Linux kernel within your domU...
 OpenSUSE kernel its great too, but it isn't a debianified package.

 Just my two cents...

-
 Thiago

2009/5/13 rcha108 rcha108 <rcha108@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
2009/5/13 Markus Schönhaber <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson:

>   My Debian 5 Lenny Dom0 has been running great for a few weeks with two PV DomU's running
> Ubuntu 8.04 on an 8-core Intel E405 12Gb machine. Xen 3.2 from Debian's packages. Both
> DomU's are webservers, and one runs qmail as well. The DomU that crashes is not under
> heavy load.
>
>   However, twice since moving to this new system, one of my DomU's has crashed bad and
> needed to be taken down and restarted. This last time, I captured some of the info in the
> console. There's lots more if anyone wants to see it.
>
>   Does this look familiar to anyone?

Yes, I have seen those "BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 11s!" hangs a
couple of times, too.

> I'm wondering if the FS (ext3) is implicated, or just
> an innocent bystander. I'm using LVM storage on a RAID1 done with Linux kernel software RAID.

Same on the machine I had problems with. So, this might indeed be a
problematic combination - or simply pure chance.

>   Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have neither found the root of the problem nor a solution. But
replacing the domU's Ubuntu kernel by a self-compiled recent vanilla
kernel (2.6.28.8) with domU support is a workaround that lets the domU
run stable since 54 days now - previously one week was the most I could
get for uptime.

Hi Markus,

Do you mind posting brief instructions as to how you built the Ubuntu 2.6.28.8 domU kernel? I'm also experiencing similar crashes with the stock Ubuntu 8.04 domU kernel and would like to try your solution :-)

Regards