Re: [Xen-users] NIC Offloading Confusion

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] NIC Offloading Confusion
From: Jorge Armando Medina <jmedina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:34:13 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:35:12 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Vie 24 Abr 2009 09:26:37 Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Robert Dunkley <Robert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Fajar,
> >
> > These are HVM guests with PV Drivers:
> > DOM0 is Centos 5.2 with Xen 3.31
> > DOMU is Centos 5.3 using integrated PV Drivers
>
> Ah, I see.
> Is there a particular reason to use HVM?
> Unless you're using some propietary binary-only kernel module, you'll
> have much better results using PV guests. Converting HVM to PV guest
> is pretty straightforward. I can share the steps if you're interested.

I'm interested in the steps to convert a HVM to PV guest.

Thanks

> > The problem seems to be gone with all offload disabled on the bridge and
> > DomU but rx, tx and scatter enabled on the physical NIC.
> >
> > The problem is very noticeable, about 5-10 seconds after turning on an
> > offload it does not like the SMTP and DNS service on the DOMU begin to
> > slow. I wonder if this is the Intel driver included with Centos 5.2 that
> > causes the problem:
> > filename:
> > /lib/modules/2.6.18-92.1.6.el5xen/kernel/drivers/net/e1000e/e1000e.ko
> > version:        0.2.0
> > license:        GPL
> > author:         Intel Corporation, <linux.nics@xxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > This version looks very old (Latest is 0.5.18.3) but Centos 5.3 seems to
> > use the same version, I'm not sure how I'm meant to update this driver,
> > some sources say it requires a kernel rebuild but others like the link
> > below show it as a simple install:
> > http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&Product
> > ID=2248&OSFullName=Linux*&lang=eng&strOSs=39&submit=Go%21
>
> I suggest you try it if possible. It's usually pretty simple (and MUCH
> easier if you can find a dkms version).
>
> On early RHEL 5.0 series I had to recompile tg3 modules manually since
> RHEL's driver was having problems. The result was well worthed the
> effort.
>
> > Can you think of any reason why the included Redhat driver is so old?
>
> I don't know. Possible licensing issue, or that the new version is not
> tested enough.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fajar

Jorge Armando Medina
Computación Gráfica de México
Web: www.e-compugraf.com
Tel: 55 51 40 72
email: jmedina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
GPG Key: 1024D/28E40632 2007-07-26
GPG Fingerprint: 59E2 0C7C F128 B550 B3A6  D3AF C574 8422 28E4 0632