Re: [Xen-users] Guest config lost

To: lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Guest config lost
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:49:35 +0700
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:50:17 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:20 AM, lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a guest image but that's all I have, just the file.img.

Where is it from?

> Is there a way of having xen recognize the guest even though I have no other
> information about it?

Sort of.
First you need to know what kind of image it is. Is it a raw disk, a
loop-mounted partition, or just a tar archive. Or even vmdk or vdi
image. "fdisk -l file_name" or looking at file extension should
provide some info.

Second, you need to know what kind of guest it is. Is it Xen PV, Xen
HVM, KVM, vmware, virtualbox, or whatever.

Next, assuming it's Xen, you can simply create a generic PV or HVM
configuration. You may lose some networking info (IP address and such,
since some distros bind it to MAC address), but it might not be
important and there's a way to get it back later.

Regards,

Fajar