Re: [Xen-users] Optimizing I/O

> atime or mtime to determine which files on /tmp can be deleted. So far
> there hasn't been any data corruption or inconsistency that I know of
> that results from using noatime.

I'll give it a try and see what happens. The thread was sort of lost :). I was
hoping to find some ideas on tuning the OS itself, not just NFS.

>> The thing about optimizing I/O is that the guests are still really just
>> data on Ethernet ports, no matter how you cut it.
>
> On your setup, yes.

I only have the one server up right now, I am currently trying to pull all of
the pieces together to build my first multiple server xen setup. So, I'm still
flexible and listening to input :).

> That's only logical. If your primary goal is redundancy and your
> servers are quite busy, then using virtualization doesn't help much.

Good, I didn't misunderstand something in that idea then.

> Usually this translates to using lots and lots of 72GB disks and
> dedicated switches/ports for SAN/NAS.

I've been collecting hardware for a while, I just happen to have lots and lots
of exactly these things :).

Seriously, I'm just a small developer, who acquired a great deal of hardware
over the past few years playing with various technologies. I didn't become a
pro at any one of them but learned a lot of basics and conceptual ideas. I am
hoping to put this experience to work by building a highly reliable setup that
can not only handle some redundancy, but more important, actually be somewhat
easy to use, expand on, etc.

I got myself into a business once where the growth was very fast, we could
never keep up and our technology was changing so fast, we needed more power,
constantly so it ended up being a nightmare of multiple days awake at a time
and too much down time because of the constant changes. I'm hoping to get
things right, as much as I can, up front, so that doing something serious with
this doesn't turn into that nightmare again.

Mike