Re: [Xen-users] USB Support for Windows HVM using VT-D?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] USB Support for Windows HVM using VT-D?
From: "Mike Brotzman" <mbrotzman.jhu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 13:34:10 -0500
Cc: Matthieu Patou <mat@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 10:34:53 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=SAOgLAqmP+3ph6tAWrVKbHp+oT8L4khBW69RKhS+2f8=; b=Ry+JkgrhKfxqm0cKQUzWe4HCQS4I0DBY0xPhEOQe6e5r6UGeYbqlicFGtfyRm1700i WvyZdj/6q6C2r6q0VIJSUiB9TtogMrQbXR2qpyQCxoabRGEFhmnSfaT4RXW3gZT0daOP 7YSiA0jqacUwnMbAWewCPnCfNpgVddjQFfOS0=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I got to the point where I installed a fresh copy of Windows XP SP3 in the DomU and I managed to get it to detect an Enhansed UBS Controller and an Unknown USB Device (in addition to the Unknown PCI device that still hanging around), I still can't find drivers that will make these built-in USB controllers work.  My DonU XP image had been somewhat elderly, and updating to SP3 did result in it auto-detecting an enhanced USB controller, but I can't make that little yellow exclamation point go away and stand-alone drivers for the Dell 755 motherboard do not seem to be available.

I have a PCI USB controller card that I can use as my plan B, but I just wanted to run the current situation by the list again before I give up getting the built-in USB controllers to work.  Thanks so much.

I can't find the message on the list but I recall something saying that in this case we are passing the device to the domU so it isn't emulated by qemu anymore but still you need specific device driver.
It's what is done for disks and network card (mostly).

With qemu and the monitor mode usb_add and usb_del works not so bad and so you can do hotplug (but you need to issue command to make the device visible/unvisible to domU).

HTH

Matthieu.