[Xen-users] Question about certain Xen limits and features

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Question about certain Xen limits and features
From: "Vessey, Bruce A" <Bruce.Vessey@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:41:44 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 07:45:26 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've been away from the Xen community for a while and, unfortunately,
haven't kept up with its current state.  I'm assembling a comparison of
virtualization solutions (Xen, VMware, Hyper-V, ...) and I have a few
questions about Xen's current functionality.  I'd appreciate it if
somebody would be willing to take the time to answer.  I'm interested in
the current *released* version (i.e. Xen 3.3 -- not unstable) for
x86_64.  Of course, if you know about on-going work that will change any
of these answers, I'd appreciate knowing that too.

Thanks,
Bruce

(1)  What's the largest number of "logical processors" that Xen supports
on the host system?  For me, this translates to cores.  I prefer to keep
hyperthreading out of the picture.  (I believe that this was 126 in 3.3,
but is changing to "unlimited" based on Jan Beulich's recent work.  Is
that correct?)

(2a)  What's the largest host memory that anybody has tested?
(2b)  What's the expected host memory limit (if somebody was able to
configure a system that large)?

(3a)  What's the largest guest memory that anybody has tested?
(3b)  What's the expected guest memory limit (if somebody was able to
configure a system that large)?

(4a)  Does Xen support hot-add of physical hardware to the host system?
If so, which devices?
(4b)  Hot remove?

(5a)  What's the maximum # of virtual NICs per guest?
(5b)  What's the maximum # of virtual HBAs per guest?
(5c)  What's the maximum # of LUNs per guest?

(6)  What's the maximum # of powered-on guests per system?