Re: AW: AW: [Xen-users] xm delete - Error: <Fault 3: 'machine1'>

Hi!

1. There are the virtual domain initial startup files, describing the
domains (domUs). I think, these files are mostly used when creating
domains, in spite the fact, that it's no longer recommended. We should
export the domU config from xend by "xm list -l DOMAINNAME > DUMPFILE"
into a text file, modify that file, and reimport by "xm new -F DUMPFILE"

2. The name of domU isn't derived from the filename of it's virtual
domain initial startup file, but from the "name=DOMAINNAME" parameter of
that file, which means, the name of the domU may be totally different
from that of the config file. Pay attention to this, when just copying
domain config files!

3. There can be some directives in the config files, which instruct xend
what to do to the domain under some circumstances: on_poweroff,
on_reboot, on_crash, on_xend_start, on_xend_stop, etc. Read this:
http://www.novell.com/documentation/vmserver/config_options/index.html?page=/documentation/vmserver/config_options/data/bookinfo.html
and use google.

4. xm behaves the following way:

-"xm new CONFIGFILE" : create a domU in xenstore
(http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenStore), but don't start it yet. A
domain created by xm new is stored persistently in xenstore, which
means, it will remains there after shutting down that domU, or even
rebooting the whole dom0.

-"xm create CONFIGFILE" : create, AND START a domU. Domains created this
way will be deleted from the xenstore when stopped.

-"xm shutdown DOMAINNAME" : shut down the domU normally. Xend send a
message to the domUs kernel, which behaves like the (ATX) power button
were pressed on a real computer. It works only with paravirtualized
domains, except when using the GPL PV drivers for HVM Windows guests.
Beware! They are unstable, and can cause severe filesystem damage:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv

-"xm destroy DOMAINNAME" : Terminate the domU immediately, which is like
unplugging a real computer from elecrtricity. "xm shutdown" equals "xm
destroy" for HVM guests.

-"xm delete DOMAINNAME" : Delete a domain, which is present in xenstore,
but not running! This is only possible for domains created with "xm
new", and the shut down somehow.

You can view some runtime parameters of dumUs with the command "xentop",
but it only shows the running domains! If you want to view all the
domains int the xenstore (even stopped ones), the use this command :"xm
list".

Can you solve your problems now?