[Xen-users] 3.2.1+ HVM + HAP + NUMA - Poor Memory Performance

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] 3.2.1+ HVM + HAP + NUMA - Poor Memory Performance
From: "Robert Dunkley" <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:33:19 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 05:35:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Everyone,

I am running 3.2.1 on Centos 5.2 with HAP enabled, NUMA enabled, ACPI enabled and the dom0 allocated 512Mb. I have setup a single core 1Gb VM for performance testing under Windows 2008 Server. Most CPU results are within a few percent of theoretical max but Memory performance is about half what I expected.

I get 3.22Gb/Sec Sandra 2009 Memory performance for a single Opteron 8350 core on dual channel DDR2-667, a single Barcelona core should manage about 6Gb/sec in this config AFAIK. Without pinning the VCPU performance is an even worse 2.67GB/sec.

Is there likely something wrong with my NUMA config? Anyone have any benchmark results to share on Barcelona with HAP enabled? Do I need to pin Dom0 to a particular CPU?

HAP looks OK:

(XEN)     VCPU0: CPU4 [has=F] flags=1 upcall_pend = 00, upcall_mask = 00 dirty_cpus={4} cpu_affinity={4}

(XEN)     paging assistance: hap, 4 levels

NUMA looks OK:

nr_cpus                : 8

nr_nodes               : 2

cores_per_socket       : 4

threads_per_core       : 1

cpu_mhz                : 2000

Thanks in advance,

Rob

The SAQ Group

Registered Office: 18 Chapel Street, Petersfield, Hampshire GU32 3DZ
SEMTEC Limited Trading as SAQ is Registered in England & Wales
Company Number: 06481952

http://www.saqnet.co.uk AS29219

SAQ Group Delivers high quality, honestly priced communication and I.T. services to UK Business.

DSL : Domains : Email : Hosting : CoLo : Servers : Racks : Transit : Backups : Managed Networks : Remote Support.

Find us in http://www.thebestof.co.uk/petersfield