[Xen-users] IpTables, Bridges and letting all traffic though to Vif inte

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] IpTables, Bridges and letting all traffic though to Vif interfaces
From: "Robert Dunkley" <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:30:31 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 02:32:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have bridging up and running fine when IPtables is disabled. The bridge interface has an IP for Dom0 which I need to firewall so I can’t exclude the whole interface from IPTables.

I added this line to IPTables:

 -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m physdev --physdev-in eth1 -j ACCEPT

It nearly works, the firewall carries on blocking on the Dom0 IP and allows through connections like RDP to the Windows VMs, outgoing Traffic from the VMs is generally OK too. The big exception is DNS from within the VMs, it gets blocked and I don’t understand why, I can go to IP address websites but not FQDNs, disabling IPtables allows traffic again. Anyone have any suggestion on fixing this?

My IPTables config:

# Firewall configuration written by system-config-securitylevel

# Manual customization of this file is not recommended.

*filter

:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]

:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]

:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]

:RH-Firewall-1-INPUT - [0:0]

-A INPUT -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT

-A FORWARD -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -i ib0 -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -i eth0 -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type any -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m physdev --physdev-in eth1 -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p 50 -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p 51 -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp --dport 5900:6000 -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp --dport 5353 -d 224.0.0.251 -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 631 -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 631 -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

The SAQ Group

Registered Office: 18 Chapel Street, Petersfield, Hampshire GU32 3DZ
SEMTEC Limited Trading as SAQ is Registered in England & Wales
Company Number: 06481952

http://www.saqnet.co.uk AS29219

SAQ Group Delivers high quality, honestly priced communication and I.T. services to UK Business.

DSL : Domains : Email : Hosting : CoLo : Servers : Racks : Transit : Backups : Managed Networks : Remote Support.

Find us in http://www.thebestof.co.uk/petersfield