RE: [Xen-users] Running MS Terminal Server and MSSmallBusinessServerunde

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Running MS Terminal Server and MSSmallBusinessServerunder Xen?
From: "Jamie J. Begin" <begin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 14:39:50 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 May 2008 11:40:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Jamie J. Begin wrote:

> > >For 15 users you can get away with just about anything...
> > >
> > >Exchange can be virtualized, it's the storage that really
> > >matters and with iSCSI and the ability to create multiple
> > >exchange virtual servers to distribute the load it can
> > >be made to scale in a virtualized environment.
> > >
> > > -Ross
> >
> > iSCSI is a bit beyond what I'd be looking at for this project.  ;-)
> What's
> > more likely is a 2U Dell server with six 146GB 10k SAS drives in a
> RAID5/6
> > config.  Disk IO is my biggest concern if I attempt to do this.  Any
> tips or
> > tricks?  I'd hate to recommend that a $5k server be purchased and then
> have
> > this blow up in my face...
>
> iSCSI isn't that complicated and there are free Linux iSCSI targets
> and the Microsoft iSCSI initiator is free, so there is minimal cost
> involved (just 1Gbe NICs and switches), but for this setup it isn't
> necessary, I just used it as an illustration on how to scale
> exchange to work in a virtualized environment.
>
> Why not just buy a Dell 2950 though with Small Business Server
> installed on it and be done with it?
>
> Using Xen for this setup is kinda overkill.
>
> A Dell 2950, 2 250GB SATA RAID1 for OS, and 4 250GB or 500GB SATA
> RAID5 or RAID10 for application data. Use hardware RAID card with
> decent sized battery backed up write-back cache and your good to
> go. I suggest the 500GB drives in RAID10 as it should allow for
> a universal IO pattern.
>
> You are not really going to see a lot of IO with 15 users.
>
> If the number of users grows large, add iSCSI to the box and use
> the local storage for online backups/snapshots. For this reason
> I always get an extra dual-port Gbe card factory installed.
>
> -Ross

The client is planning to move his operations into a datacenter to free him
from the physical constraints of an office.  Most of his employees are
either on the road or able to work from home.  He currently has the standard
SBS setup with a handful of WinXP desktops.  The desktops are going away and
I want to set up everyone to use RDP over HTTPS from anywhere they have a
PC.

We're looking at a 2U 2950 to host three virtual servers: SBS, Terminal
services, and a linux server with Bacula and/or BackupPC for disk-based
backups. A second server, a 1U 1950, will also be Xen-based and function as
a firewall/OpenVPN, Asterisk, web, and secondary SMTP servers.  I'm looking
at Xen because it will enable me to reduce rackspace and power requirements,
save on hardware costs, plus all the usual virtualization manageability
benefits.

What's holding me up at the moment is finding a local datacenter that offers
PRI connectivity (for the phone trunks) at a decent price, and the
uncertainty of using Xen with Exchange and Terminal Services.