Re: [Xen-users] 32-bit OS images

Mainly I'm thinking of expandability - passing through your NICs to your domU directly means that each NIC can only be connected to one domU - and ease of configuration - passing through NICs means messing around with PCI settings, matching the right PCI bus identifier to the right NIC port, etc.

If you're testing performance of passthrough vs. bridge, I can see why you'd want to do that.  I've got three servers set up to run a bunch of domUs (I have probably 30 running on 3 physical servers right now) and I need VLAN support plus network aggregation.  All of this is easier to do in the dom0 and create a bunch of bridges that the domUs can connect to.  Very similar to the way VMware's ESX does things.  My servers are also 1U servers, so I don't have a lot of room to expand PCIe cards or anything like that - I have to make the most of the small amount of space given.

-Nick

>>> On 2008/04/24 at 16:54, Asim <linkasim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks Nick for all the information. Yes I want to do some performance
measurements
on pass-through I/O (and bridge I/O). So I just want one DomU. I guess
thats two NICs
one for each Dom*. Apart from lack of migration support, what are the
other disadvantages?

Also, how do i do this? Do i need to hide the PCI from Dom0 and add it
using network-attach script?

-Asim