Re: [Xen-users] Boot error with 2.6.23 domU

To: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Boot error with 2.6.23 domU
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:46:20 +0000
Cc: Zoltan HERPAI <wigyori@xxxxxxx>, jeremy@xxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Michael Heyse <mhk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:22:12 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

Sorry I've been slow in replying to this.

> This is a follow-up to a thread from October 2007.
>
> >> It hanged at:
> >>
> >> # xm create -c somedomain
> >> Using config file "/etc/xen/somedomain".
> >> Started domain somedomain
> >>

> >> And it seems to wait there forever.

<snip>

> I just tried to make an upstream 2.6.24.2 to work as a domU, but it
> fails the same way.

Did you include "console=hvc0" in you extra= parameter?  Otherwise you won't
get any boot output.

> As there are more people which have problem starting an upstream domU
> kernel with Xen, I begin to wonder if it's actually possible to boot it?
>
> Could anyone post a *working* config for a 2.6.24.x domU kernel? More
> users asked for a .config from a kernel which boots, but one was never
> provided...

I've just built and booted a 2.6.24 on Xen so I know it *can* be done.  It
does seem to be causing issues for people though.

I've attached one but it's not yet as stripped down as I'd like it to be.
Once it's as small as I can get it, I may post it online somewhere as an
example.

I've been writing a howto on Xen-enabled kernel.org here:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Kernel.org_Linux_on_Xen

Cheers,
Mark