Re: [Xen-users] Any luck with SLES9 HVM install?

To: Xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Any luck with SLES9 HVM install?
From: Evan Lavelle <sa212+xen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:25:22 +0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:26:07 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Evan Lavelle wrote:
Anyone managed to get a SLES9-SP4 HVM installed? I've been going round in circles for hours with this one.

What I've found out:

1 - I can't install from an emulated cdrom. The installer does boot from the cdrom, but later gives up, saying that it can't find the install CD. I've done all sorts of messing around with virsh and the qemu monitor, but no luck.

Fixed; not Xen's fault. I got out ettercap to find out why the installer was getting a 404 error when talking to the server. It turned out it was asking for /boot/root, which isn't on the SLES-9 SP4 ISO. The ISO is bootable, but it's not the install CD... you have to boot on the SP4 CD, and when it asks for 'CD1', you have to put in the original SLES 9 CD(s). D'uh.

6 base CDs, 4 service pack CDs, and 4 SDK CDs, to get a usable system, which everyone else has managed to fit on one DVD...

Evan