[Xen-users] Any luck with SLES9 HVM install?

To: Xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Any luck with SLES9 HVM install?
From: Evan Lavelle <sa212+xen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:46:31 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 04:47:14 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anyone managed to get a SLES9-SP4 HVM installed? I've been going round in circles for hours with this one.

What I've found out:

1 - I can't install from an emulated cdrom. The installer does boot from the cdrom, but later gives up, saying that it can't find the install CD. I've done all sorts of messing around with virsh and the qemu monitor, but no luck.

There's not much on Google about this, but there's one related fix at http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-09/msg00322.html, which doesn't work for me.

2 - Network install #1:

manual install -> start installation or update -> network -> http

give the error message: "no network device found. Load a network module first".

3 - Network install #2:

On the first install page, I selected 'Installation', and entered "install=http://192.168.1.45/"; (my server address) in the boot options box. 'system information -> kernel messages' confirms that the link is up and eth0 is Ok. If I go through the first few install steps, setting IP addresses and so on, I eventually get a '404 not found' error when the installer tries to get to the server. However, a browser on Dom0 correctly shows the contents of the first CD when pointed at the same file.

4 - hard drive install:

I modded the config file to export the ISO file as hdd, as well as hdc:cdrom. This seems to get fairly close - the kernel can see hdd, and the installer does seem to mount it, but it won't go any further. I guess I would need to 'mount -o loop' the ISO file myself before starting installation to go any further with this.

Any ideas?

Thanks -

Evan
# -*- mode: python; -*-

kernel       = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder      ='hvm'
memory       = 1024
name         = "sles9-64-001"
vcpus        = 1
vif          = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:0f:b5:ae:4f:32, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk         = [ 'phy:/dev/VG_Guests/SLES9-64-001,ioemu:hda,w' ,

'file:/dumps/ISO/SLES9/SLES-9-SP4-CD-x86_64-GM-CD1.iso,hdc:cdrom,r']
device_model = '/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
boot         = "dc"
sdl          = 1
vnc          = 0
vncviewer    = 0