Re: [Xen-users] san fibrechannel device in HVM domU

Hi Sebastian,

can you post the vm config file? i saw some problems when i use the long form:

pci=[ '0000:01:00.0','0000:01:01.0' ]

in my file i use the short form:

pci=[ '01:00.0','01:01.0' ]

also i use in /boot/grub/menu.lst:
title XEN -- openSUSE 10.3 - PAE
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /xen-pae.gz
    module /vmlinuz-2.6.22.13-0.3-xenpae root=/dev/mapper/nvidia_deihceca_part7 vga=normal resume=/dev/mapper/nvidia_deihceca_part6 splash=silent showopts pciback.hide=(0000:01:00.0)(0000:01:01.0)
    module /initrd-2.6.22.13-0.3-xenpae

and at least in /etc/init.d/boot.local:

# HFC ISDN PCI Devices remove from Dom0 and also set permissive
modprobe pciback hide='(01:00.0)(01:01.0)'
echo -n 0000:01:00.0 > sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/permissive
echo -n 0000:01:01.0 > sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/permissive

well as you see i use ISDN Cards and not HBA'a... but it should work also with that.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with kind regards
Gerhard Possler
IT Architect
IBM Enterprise Linux Services

ELS Wiki@IBM (only accessible via IBM intranet)
IT-Services and Solutions GmbH
Rathausstr. 7, D-09111 Chemnitz
Geschäftsführung: Rainer Laier, Michael Mai
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Chemnitz
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Chemnitz, HRB 18409

http://www.itsas.de/
gerhard.possler@xxxxxxxxxx
Mobil +49 (0) 160 90578637

"Sebastian Reitenbach" <sebastia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

12.02.2008 13:19
Please respond to
Sebastian Reitenbach <sebastia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[Xen-users] san fibrechannel device in HVM domU

Hi,

I'm on a HP DL365, amd64, running SLES10sp1, but with kernel and xen of
SLES10sp2, therefore using Xen 3.2. The domU shall be a Windows HVM guest.

I want use the Qlogic SAN card in a domU. I'm following these instructions:
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/2880/assign-dedicated-network-card-or-pci-device-xen-virtual-machine

well, there is written that this only works for PVM guests, but that was for
3.0.4, I use 3.2, so I thought, worth a try.

However, when I am at the point that I start the domU, the following error
message appears:

xm create pci=0000:02:01.0 SERVER2003
Using config file "./SERVER2003".
Error: Fail to assign device(2:1.0): maybe VT-d is not enabled, or the
device is not exist, or it has already been assigned to other domain

Without the pci parameter, the domU starts. The device is correctly hidden
from the dom0, and no other domU is running.
As I am on AMD, there is no VT-d, will this only work with Xen on new Intel
machines, or is there anything I can do to get this to work on AMD too?

cheers
Sebastian