Re: Xen Virtual Console xvc (Was: Re: [Xen-users] Pardon me for possibly

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Xen Virtual Console xvc (Was: Re: [Xen-users] Pardon me for possibly dumb question but....)
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:00:02 +0000
Cc: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 07:00:44 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Sunday 27 January 2008 09:53:50 pm Todd Deshane wrote:
> >> Thanx. I actually wasn't thinking of the domu case. Fedora sets up
> >> dom0's inittab and securetty, and I was wondering why. You obviously
> >> can't use 'xm console' for this, so what can you use (he asks, befuddled
> >> ;-)
> >
> > I don't understand the question then. Sorry :(
>
> The thrust of my question is where does the getty prompt show up. I get the
> concept  of using 'xm console' for a domu, but does anyone know why it's in
> fedora's dom0 setup? Where would I find the getty prompt corresponding to
> dom0's xvc0?

To be honest I've been a bit confused by all the different console names Xen
has used ;-)  But I imagine that in dom0 xvc0 is plumbed through to Xen so
that if you have a serial line attached to the box you can use it to log in
on dom0 (or control Xen - you switch using a magic key combination).

> It may turn out that inittab and securetty should *not* be setup in a dom0,
> which would solve another problem: When I boot into the non-xen kernel on
> fedora fc8, I get the following repeated syslog message, since obviously
> there is no xvc0 in the non-xen-kernel:
>
> Jan 27 00:24:38 Insp6400 init: Id "co" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
> minutes
> Jan 27 00:31:24 Insp6400 init: Id "co" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
> minutes

Oh, that's unfortunate.  If this is on stock F8, maybe file a bug?

Cheers,
Mark