Re: [Xen-users] Re: IOMMU capable hardware

On Do, Dez 13, 2007 at 04:39:40 +0000, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > Mark you have written
> >
> > [cut]
> >
> > > domains).  Also, unless you have IOMMU capable hardware (most people
> > > don't)
> >
> > [/cut]
> >

> > Is this hardware available on the market today?
> > And if it is, where can we read the list of this hardware?
>
> Intel's VT-d technology includes and IOMMU.  I *think* you can now purchase
> motherboards which include it but I'm not 100% sure.  I wouldn't know which
> models either, too be honest.  Xen-unstable already has preliminary support
> for this and uses it to do PCI passthrough to HVM guests.  VT-d for PV guests
> is not yet supported.
>
> Knowing Intel there probably is / will be a list of VT-d boards on their
> website at some point.
>
> > Or may be plans about release of such a hardware?
>
> AMD are also bringing out IOMMU hardware but I know less about this.

Mark, thank you for the answer,

Exactly, I want to use IOMMU for experments with
passthrough of PCI devices to HVM guests.
I use AMD because I need run FreeBSD in HVM domain
and I have not managed to run it on Intel-based platforms.
(May be it is possible, but in my case it was simpler
to switch to AMD-based boxes).

Question #2.

How can I check, if my system is IOMMU enabled?
May be I could grep /proc or do something similar?

I use quite modern MB, and if you say that there
are MB that could support IOMMU already, I think:
may be my system supports it to?

> Cheers,
> Mark
>

> --
> Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat?  And no pedals!
> Mark: To answer a question with a question: What use is a skateboard?
> Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
> Mark: My wheel has a wheel!

WBR, i.m.chubin