Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 crash on hvm creation

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dom0 crash on hvm creation
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 04:02:15 +0000
Cc: Brendan Wood <bwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 20:03:05 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Brendan,

CentOS 5.1 is available now, bundling a Xen derived from 3.1.  Are you able to
try this and see if it solves your problem?  The HVM support in 3.1 is much
improved from 3.0.3 (as evidenced by Redhat now talking about Windows guests,
IIRC).

Cheers,
Mark

On Friday 16 November 2007, Brendan Wood wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having some trouble trying to run Centos4 hvm domU domains on a Centos
> 5 server running kernel-2.6.18-8.1.15.el5.centos.plusxen, using xen
> 3.0.3-25.0.4.el5 on x86_64 architecture. On three out of four of the
> servers I've tried, I will get a total system (dom0) crash when trying to
> start a fully virtualized domU. I will run `xm create xen_test`, it will
> start, then return to the command line, but invariably within five to ten
> seconds the entire system will freeze. I get no error messages to any of
> the logs, or anything output to the console. Absolutely nothing responds. I
> can't find any record of the error after power cycling the machine.
>
> The interesting thing is that on one server of the same type out of the
> four I've tried, it works absolutely fine every time. I've tried moving the
> hvm image and config to the other servers but those fail as well. There
> might be some differences in the hardware components used but the servers
> have the same board and same CPUs, with the same version of Centos and Xen.
>
> I did read that some people were having problems with hvm crashing the dom0
> a while back on the list when using AMD 64 cpus. I don't know if that would
> apply to this version of xen or if it might be somehow related, but I
> thought it was a good chance. Porting xen 3.1 to the kernel-xen RPM is an
> option, but one I'd really like to avoid if possible.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brendan Wood

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!